April 7, 2012

Playoff Beard

Around 6:30pm today, the Penguins defeated the Philadelphia Flyers 4-2. This was the end of the regular season. The playoffs for the Stanley Cup begin Thursday. A lot of guys & a majority of the Pens did something around 7:00pm that hopefully the bunch won't do again til mid-June.

They shaved, thus marking the beginning of the 'playoff beard'.

The playoff beard has been a tradition in the NHL since the New York Islanders of the 1980s began growing full, majestic beards during the post-season. Its a team unity thing that was carried over to the various fanbases. My buddy Ziggy had the best playoff beard when the Pens won the Cup in 2009. It wasn't as grand as Zdeno Chara's or Max Talbot's, but it was the clear winner amongst our group. This year, Ziggy will have some competition . . . me.

Years past, I have been forbidden to participate in this manly practice because Sheetz (my workplace) doesn't allow facial hair. However, there is a loophole. I can grow a mustache. So I am. A playoff mustache. Lindsey is pissed. I think she's the only person in the Steel City who's wishing for the Penguins to bow out early. I admit, a mustache isn't the most age appropriate thing but I feel compelled to join in the superstition. Sorry, babe. Let's Go Pens!       

                                                                   Mike Commodore (2006)

                                                                      Max Talbot (2009)

                                                            Scott Niedermayer (2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment