January 27, 2012

Benchwarmers

Every good team has deep bench. The bench is used to sub the star players out and give them a rest so they are fresh for the game's crunch time. Almost every championship team is equipped with a deep, talented bench (ask the 2010-2011 Miami Heat if a bench matters!).

For us fans of sports, a good bench is equally important. Not in terms of getting rest or providing a spark, but in a more 'everyday' sense.

Example: The NHL Winter Classic came to Pittsburgh a couple years ago. I, like practically all of the city, was beyond jacked. The cool thing was, the game was going to air at noon on New Year's Day. My workplace, Sheetz, mandates all employees to work holidays, but on half shifts with time and half pay. I was scheduled to work 10am-2pm. An obvious problem (mainly because I didn't ask for a earlier shift in the SIX MONTHS beforehand).

Enter, the bench. Like a good coach would, I called on my bench . . . in this case coworkers who don't care about sports. Every workplace has them. The people who cannot name the Steelers's starting quarterback or do not know that the Pirates suck. They simply have no interest in athletic competition. They're the go-to people when us sports fans need a quick change.

After a couple of phone calls and texts, I found someone to take my shift. Would I miss the extra money? Probably, but like Hell was I going to miss the Pens vs the Caps in the Winter Classic! So thank you, lacking sports-enthusiast coworkers. This blog is dedicated to you.

Bonus! The game was pushed back to seven at night so I got the whole damn day off. Buck in the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment