March 6, 2012

The National Anthem

It isn't a sporting event until I hear some singer or musical instrument start belting out the first lines of the Star Spangled Banner. Hearing it on television is nice, but my engine really revs when I'm sitting in the stands of PNC Park with my hat in my hand over my heart. Nothing sets the tone for a game better than the National Anthem. Hell, I even like O'Canada. I think I might have it played before my wedding . . .

The flip side of the coin is when the SSB is butchered, a cocktail of hilarious & tragic spirits. However, this doesn't happen as often as people think. Few times the anthem is awesome & most times it is average. But when it is slaughtered . . . it's usually funny. The NFL has cornered the market on fucked up anthems (Steve Taylor & Christina Aguilera). Going back to our Neighbors in the North, their anthem sounds weird when it is sung in Quebec & they splice in French lyrics. Regardless of how well a anthem is sung or played, it stills spurs my game-face on. What do you think? You like the anthem?

 

1 comment:

  1. I love the anthem. Like you said, it isn't a sporting event until the anthem's sung. No matter what sport.

    ReplyDelete